Visitors to Cumbria in 2017
Understanding our visitors, why they visit and what they do helps us to develop and promote one of Britain’s truly world-class destinations.
Understanding our tourism businesses, what they are offering and how business is going in this highly competitive environment helps us provide the appropriate support.
Research is key in achieving a continuously improving tourism destination that enhances the visitor experience and keeps people coming back again and again. An evidence-based approach is used to inform tourism management, development and marketing to help maximise resources. The research department delivers core activity to provide tourism organisations, businesses, and other partners with vital market intelligence and up-to-date analysis of business performance and economic impact.
Research for the Sector
Regular research undertaken by our research team includes:
- Monthly occupancy surveys with all types of accommodation providers, over 300 participants.
- Countywide visitor surveys, 2015 survey the most recent.
- Data collection from Tourist Information Centres and visitor attractions.
- Annual tourism economic impact assessment.
- Regular analysis of accommodation stock composition.
- Tourism Business Performance Surveys every six months.
- Biannual Tourism Research Newsletter.
Cumbria Tourism Research Reports
You can purchase invaluable research to help you benchmark your business against others, and provide you with key stats to help you plan future investment and marketing activity.
Research reports available fall into the categories below:
- Business Performance
- Visitor Markets
- Market Town Visitor Surveys
If you are a Cumbria Tourism member you would also receive a 20% discount off the fee.