Understanding our visitors, why they visit and what they do helps us to develop and promote one of Britain’s truly world-class destinations.
Research is key in achieving a continuously improving tourism destination that enhances the visitor experience and keeps people coming back again and again. An evidence-based approach is used to inform tourism management, development and marketing to help maximise resources. The research department delivers core activity to provide tourism organisations, businesses, and other partners with vital market intelligence and up-to-date analysis of business performance and economic impact.
Help us understand our visitors’ needs
With many new faces looking to enjoy Cumbria this summer we’re working to ensure our annual visitor survey, supported by the Lake District National Park and Lake District Foundation, is reaching a large and representative sample.
Every visitor who completes our short survey helps us better understand how we can best support you and your business.
To make the process as easy as possible we have created a range of downloadable resources as we ask you to:
- Print and display our QR posters around your business
- Download and post the social media assets (sample copy also provided)
- Add a brief line to your customer follow up emails, asking them to complete the survey.
All visitors who complete the survey have the opportunity to enter an exclusive prize draw.
Business Performance Survey
Our business survey, which takes place every six months, offers tourism businesses across the whole of the county the opportunity to share their hopes and
concerns about the industry.
Thank you to all those who contribute, together we can make our voices heard.
Cumbria Visitor Survey 2018
Cumbria Tourism commissioned Enventure Research to undertake its 2018 Visitor Survey. 1428 interviews were completed across Cumbria during June-September.
The infographic below show some key findings and the full report can be purchased at HERE.
Research for the Sector
Regular research undertaken by our research team includes:
- Monthly occupancy surveys with all types of accommodation providers, over 300 participants.
- Countywide visitor surveys, 2015 survey the most recent.
- Data collection from Tourist Information Centres and visitor attractions.
- Annual tourism economic impact assessment.
- Regular analysis of accommodation stock composition.
- Tourism Business Performance Surveys every six months.
- Biannual Tourism Research Newsletter.
Cumbria Tourism Research Reports
You can purchase invaluable research to help you benchmark your business against others, and provide you with key stats to help you plan future investment and marketing activity.
Research reports available fall into the categories below:
- Business Performance
- Visitor Markets
- Market Town Visitor Surveys
If you are a Cumbria Tourism member you would also receive a 20% discount off the fee.