Chart-toppers to headline Appleby Summer Pudding
‘Sam and the Womp’ confirmed as full line-up is revealed for new summer festival
Eden Arts have revealed a string of top festival acts for the new Appleby Summer Pudding festival, to be staged at the fairytale Appleby Castle this August – headlined by chart-toppers Sam and the Womp, who have previously clocked up a UK number one and had 30 million views on YouTube.
The Appleby Summer Pudding will combine a day of family entertainment with a separate evening ‘After Party’ for a true music festival vibe, bringing together Sam and the Womp with other renowned names from the UK festival scene including The Correspondents and Gypsy Hill.
The evening extravaganza takes place in the castle’s medieval inner bailey, with the full line-up including:
• Sam and the Womp, who rose to fame in 2012 when their debut single ‘Bom Bom’ shot straight to No 1 in the UK music charts and sold over a million copies worldwide. To date, it has had 30 million YouTube views. With a huge brassy sound, grooving drums and infectious Womping bass, Sam and the Womp will bring a unique blend of driven dance music to the Summer Pudding.
• The Correspondents featured in The Telegraph’s ‘Top Ten Glastonbury Highlights’ two years in a row, and the duo – consisting of singer Mr Bruce and producer Chucks – have been hailed as one of the best live acts in the UK.
• Gypsy Hill have a tour history that includes some of the UK and Europe’s biggest festivals, including Glastonbury, Bestival, WOMAD, Sziget, Fusion and Winterthurer Musikfestwochen. The 7-piece outfit will rock the stage with a heady mix of Balkan brass, Mediterranean surf rock, ska and swing. Featuring guitars, horns, tuba, a scratch DJ and a mix of live and electronic beats, Gypsy Hill blend the traditional with a uniquely modern sound.
And that is just the evening… In the daytime, there will be an array of street and circus acts from across the UK, a retro funfair, a crafty vintage market and scrumptious food and drink – all set against the backdrop of this magical 12th century castle’s beautiful grounds.
This very tasty Summer Pudding is crammed full of more ear pleasing goodies throughout the day suitable for all the family:
• In the Goosefield: Rising stars Hardwicke Circus are fast gaining a reputation as one of the most electrifying young bands in the country, blending power-packed R&B with genuinely original song writing talent. Fronted by Jonny Foster, they have a wealth of experience on the local pub and club circuit.
They are joined by four-piece Cumbrian garage rock outfit The Chadelics and Lake District indie pop from My Little Brother. Bentham based punk, rave, funk band Donut (formerly known as Eating Disorder) and winners of Lancaster Battle of the Bands 2016 Atomic Brass – playing some well-known favourites, but with 100% more funk.
• In the Strawberry and Creamfield: The North East’s finest bluegrass conglomerate Kentucky Cow Tippers, new and exciting folkadelic dance band from Kendal Shallamarra, a unique combination of soulful vocals accompanied by beat-boxing from Lyons and La Zel. There will also be performances by local community choir Middle Eden Voices and Appleby Town Band.
Adrian Lochhead, Director of Eden Arts says, “We love music and we really love this line up! The Summer Pudding After Party brings together three amazing acts who play top festivals across the world. It’s a dream line up that promises to be one of the best nights of music in the North this year. The unique setting of Appleby Castle’s inner bailey is bound to provide an intimate yet grand backdrop to what will be one heck of an After Party.”
The Summer Pudding festival is all being staged as Appleby continues to bounce back from the after effects of Storm Desmond and is taking place with support from Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership, Eden District Council and Arts Council England as part of the historic market town’s flood recovery programme.
Standard tickets for the event cost £10 daytime, £15 After Party or £20 combined daytime and evening ticket. Early bird discounts. Camping pitches available on site.
Tickets and more information available from www.summerpudding.co.uk
Notes to Editors:
For images of the Appleby Summer Pudding line-up, visit: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Bands%20info%20and%20images
For media enquiries including band interviews, please contact: Heather Sewell, 07795 487003 / email@example.com
Eden Arts is a charitable arts organisation (charity no. 1139215) based in the Eden District, Cumbria, and funded by Eden District Council, Arts Council England and The Big Lottery. Eden Arts promotes, invents, dreams and cooks up all sorts of creative projects from commissions to participatory to gigs and cinema. www.edenarts.co.uk