Cumbria Tourism launches major campaign
to attract winter visitors
Cumbria Tourism is unveiling plans for a major marketing campaign to promote the Lake District, Cumbria, as an all-year-round visitor destination during the traditionally quieter winter months.
As the county’s official destination organisation – representing more than 2,500 tourism businesses – Cumbria Tourism will launch the new five-month campaign on 1 November 2016, running through until the end of March 2017.
The aim is to showcase the wide range of events and attractions people can enjoy throughout the winter, by sharing content, images and itineraries to inspire staycations and drum home the message that visitors are welcome at any time of year.
Cumbria Tourism is working with Cactus Creative on the visuals, building on the success of its award-winning #theplacetobe campaign which has been promoting the Lake District, Cumbria, nationally and internationally.
The new winter campaign will also include the introduction of a new ‘LoveCumbria’ Winter Rewards Card offering special discounts to a string of popular tourist attractions. The card will be promoted by accommodation providers, information centres and attractions, as well through Cumbria Tourism’s award winning GoLakes website and publications.
Among those who have already signed up to offer ‘2 for 1’ deals as part of the LoveCumbria scheme are The Wordsworth Trust, The Lakes Distillery, Ullswater Steamers, Lakeland Arts, Rheged and Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway to name just a few.
Other key elements of Cumbria Tourism’s five-month winter marketing campaign will include:
• New media partnerships with publications such as BBC Countryfile magazine and Country Walking magazine
• A new winter breaks section on the new look GoLakes website, which already attracts 5 million web users annually. This will include a range of tailored itineraries which Cumbria Tourism members can download and use for their own marketing activity.
• A series of targeted e-newsletters to Cumbria Tourism’s customer database of 160,000+ people.
• Complimentary messaging to Cumbria Tourism’s 195,000+ followers on social media.
• Complimentary PR activity as part of ongoing work with VisitEngland.
• Promotion of reduced car parking charges, to help boost trade in urban areas and villages across the county.
Ian Stephens, Managing Director of Cumbria Tourism, says, “Unlike many other UK destinations, the Lake District Cumbria has a plentiful supply of popular events and places to visit regardless of the changing seasons. There is no doubt last winter was a challenging time for our £2.62 billion tourism sector, but we are finalising this campaign on behalf of our 2,500 tourism members to showcase Cumbria’s destinations on the national stage and help make the most of the current trend for staycations.”
He adds, “The LoveCumbria Winter Rewards Card is an exciting new initiative and provides a great additional incentive to help boost winter visitors. We’ve already had a great response from tourism businesses and I’m sure the card will send out a very positive message encouraging people to visit and experience a wide range of attractions and activities during the winter months.”
Further details about Cumbria Tourism’s winter marketing campaign will be announced in the coming weeks.
Notes to Editors:
Example artwork attached.
For more information, please contact Cumbria Tourism Press Office on: 01539 822222 or email email@example.com
1. Cumbria Tourism is the lead organisation for tourism in the county and is at the heart of the Cumbria Visitor Economy. It is also the largest membership organisation in Cumbria with more than 2,400 members. In 2015, more than 43 million people visited Cumbria, contributing more than £2.62 billion to the local economy and support around 61,000 jobs.
2. For more information about visiting the Lake District, Cumbria, visit: www.golakes.co.uk
3. To find out more about the work of Cumbria Tourism, visit www.cumbriatourism.org