Cumbrian tourism operators dominated last night’s VisitEngland Awards for Excellence, scooping three coveted ‘Gold’ awards AND four ‘Silver’ awards.
The prestigious awards have been running for more than 30 years and champion innovation, quality and best practice to recognise businesses and individuals who raise the bar of England’s tourism offer.
With more finalists than any other destination, Cumbria was already blazing a trail going into the VIP awards ceremony at Warner Bros Studio in London, hosted by hotelier and TV presenter Alex Polizzi.
The GOLD award winners were:
- Unsung Hero Award – Michael Wilson, Official Guide to the Kent Estuary
- Small Hotel of the Year – Askham Hall
- Camping, Glamping, and Holiday Park of the Year – The Quiet Site, Ullswater
SILVER awards were presented to:
- New Tourism Business of the Year category – Bassenthwaite Lake Station
- Experience of the Year category – Shed 1Distillery, Ulverston
- Small Visitor Attraction of the Year category – Muncaster Gardens, and Hawk & Owl Centre
- B&B and Guest House of the Year category – Cedar Manor, Windermere
All seven were shortlisted after being big winners at the Cumbria Tourism Awards 2022.
Managing Director of Cumbria Tourism, Gill Haigh, says: “Wow, what a result for Cumbria! Three gold and four silver awards at this level is an exceptional achievement and reflects the sheer quality and diversity of Cumbria’s tourism offering.
“A big well done to all seven Cumbrian winners representing our county on the national stage. We are in awe, and SO proud of you all!
VisitEngland Director Andrew Stokes, comments: “It is fantastic to come together as an industry to celebrate our world-class tourism businesses. Competition this year was fierce with customer service excellence evident across every category, thanks to the passion and dedication of individuals.
“I congratulate all the winners and especially those who won Gold, an achievement cementing their place as the country’s crème de la crème, standard-bearers for England’s tourism industry.”
The announcement comes exactly one month before the Cumbria Tourism Awards 2023, taking place at the Castle Green Hotel in Kendal on Wednesday 5 July. Many of this July’s winners will themselves have the chance of representing the county nationally at next year’s VisitEngland Awards for Excellence.
Image Credit Visit England/Daniela Luquini