The Lake District, Cumbria easily outshines the city lights for a memorable autumn or winter holiday, with thousands of stars visible on a clear night – complimented by part of our own galaxy The Milky Way, which majestically stretches across the night sky.
According to light pollution maps issued by the Campaign to Protect Rural England, the Lake District, Cumbria is one of the best places in England for a star-gazing getaway. The National Park and our designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, along with surrounding areas across the county offer a number of locations perfect for a night of stargazing, giving plenty of opportunities for businesses across the county to attract the next generation of stargazers.
Research shows that stargazing activities are a great way to help boost winter tourism, by extending the season and encouraging overnight stays. Stargazing provides a great opportunity to enable visitors to explore our county in a new and immersive way, fitting perfectly with people’s renewed desire to enhance their health and wellbeing, discover the outdoors and get closer to nature.
Cumbria Tourism’s dark skies initiative is part of #theperfectplacetobe Recovery Marketing Campaign to help tourism and hospitality businesses develop new and innovative ways to inspire potential visitors throughout the autumn and winter.
As the UK gives way to darker nights, this is the perfect time for Cumbrian tourism business to join us in raising awareness and promoting Cumbria as #theperfectplacetostargaze and for your business to benefit from the value of dark skies tourism.
Our brand-new package of business support activity and resources provides an introduction into dark skies tourism, hints & tips, imagery and resources to help you in developing your own dark skies product offering:
- Get involved in this spring’s Cumbria Dark Skies Festival
- Making the Most of Dark Skies Tourism Toolkit
- Advantages of Dark Skies Tourism
- What time of year?
- Dark Sky Friendly Sites
- Top tips to developing and marketing your dark sky offer, including ideas for organising your own activities and events
- Self-Accreditation Charter and Logo to recognise businesses that support dark skies tourism.
- Suite of campaign imagery to assist you in promoting dark skies tourism. Please note, the campaign images must be used in the format supplied and should not be edited in any way.
- Upon completion of the Self-Accreditation Charter, members of Cumbria Tourism are able to benefit from:
- Extra listing on Visitlakedistrict.com’s Dark Skies Cumbria page
- Involvement where appropriate in any relevant PR and media opportunities
- Inclusion in campaign blogs and social media where relevant
- Access to additional dark skies imagery available on Cumbria Tourism’s Photo Library
For more information or questions on how to get involved in the above activities, or If you are already developing dark skies activities, events or packages, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org