Get involved in the Winter 2022 Cumbria Dark Skies Festival!
Taking place between 28th October – 12th November 2022, the Cumbria Dark Skies Festival will celebrate the county’s fantastic stargazing opportunities through an exciting calendar of activities (both in person and virtual) and we are looking for events to feature in the festival calendar. The festival will act as a catalyst for the dark skies season, therefore even if your event doesn’t take place within these dates, or you will be running further events later in the year then we can still promote these for you.
With Dark Skies tourism a growing trend, the festival will provide an opportunity for both visitors and locals to celebrate the unpolluted views available in Cumbria, raise awareness of their importance and help extend the traditional tourist season by encouraging longer dwell time due to the nature of stargazing activities which take place during the evening, therefore boosting overnight stays and increasing spend.
Stargazing is accessible to a wide audience due to the variety of experiences available, therefore gives the opportunity to enhance your offer quickly and easily from the traditional peak market. Provide new and exciting enriching products and packages and give visitors the chance to explore our region in an immersive way – more reasons for visitors to book with you!
To help support this event, there will be collective promotional activity for relevant events and activities taking place during the festival period. Promotion will include PR activity, downloadable assets and digital promotion including website, social media and enewsletters.
Listing an event is free, however they must be relevant to the theme and due to space constraints we do reserve the right to limit the number of featured events if necessary.
Event organisers will remain fully responsible for the development, promotion and delivery of their events. They are also responsible for their own booking processes (if required) although we are happy to make recommendations on suppliers.
If you would like to host an event then please submit the details of event using the online form here and these details will be used to create your event listing online as part of the festival promotion. Please also contact Francine on firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your event and for any questions you may have.
Read on for more inspiration on your event…
- Introduction to stargazing
- Take a small group out to enjoy the night sky, providing advice on how to keep safe and warm as you point out perfect places to view the stars.
- Stargazing walk
- Take a group on an easy night-time hike to really soak experience the stars.
- Dine and stargaze evening
- Wrap up warm and offer an al fresco experience under the stars, or perhaps provide a hearty meal afterwards.
- Astronomy/space talks
- Give visitors more of an insight into what’s above them by hosting an expert in the field, or an enthusiastic amateur!
- Night-time art events and installations
- Put a new perspective on a piece by holding a night viewing – perfect for keen night-time photographers!
- Guided Night swim experience
- Go wild and offer a truly unforgettable experience.
- Dark skies photography experience
- Help visitors snap the perfect long exposure – where would you recommend as the best place to shoot?
The Cumbria Dark Skies Festival is organised by a partnership of organisations including Cumbria Tourism, Forestry England, Cumbria Wildlife Trust, Friends of the Lake District and the Lake District National Park Partnership.
If you need help sourcing someone who could run a session or activity as part of your event, then please get in touch.
Don’t forget, if you are interested in developing your dark skies offer then you can make the most of our resources including self-accreditation charter to help you market your business as dark skies friendly.
This is free of charge to access, and once completed you are welcome to use the dark sky friendly logo in your marketing. Members of Cumbria Tourism can also benefit from an additional listing on the Dark Sky Cumbria section on visitlakedistrict.com.
To access these resources, head to our dark skies business support hub here.